Vacancy Postdoctoral Position in Genomics
About the Lab
The laboratory of Professor Peter Carmeliet is part of the Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), one of the research departments of VIB (Vlaams Instituut Biotechnologie) located at the KU Leuven – Campus Gasthuisberg. The lab is focusing on the development of blood vessels (angiogenesis) and vascular metabolism in health and disease, with the ultimate aim to identify novel therapeutic strategies.
Recent (single-cell) genomics and transcriptomics projects of the lab revealed unexpected, novel insights in perturbed cytogenetic features of endothelial cells in pathological conditions. The lab is further investigating these findings, focusing on unraveling the mechanisms of these genomic aberrations, the cellular heterogeneity and its role in disease. We are seeking a dynamic, highly motivated postdoctoral researcher with experience in genomics to unravel genomic/genetic changes occurring upon disease or during disease progression (e.g. cancer development).
The laboratory of Prof. Carmeliet is using transcriptomics and genomics strategies (including bulk and single-cell RNA-sequencing, shallow sequencing, single-cell genome & transcriptome sequencing (scG&T), whole exome sequencing (WES), whole genome sequencing (WGS) and epigenomics) in combination with bioinformatics analysis to characterize the genome/transcriptome landscape of tumor endothelial cells.We are seeking a (senior) genomics researcher (postdoc level with relevant years of experience). The successful candidate will use the above mentioned state-of-art genetic technologies to characterize the DNA/RNA landscape of human endothelial cells from human/mouse cancers to identify recurrent gene changes during disease progression and anti-angiogenic treatment, and to provide mechanistic insight in the development of these genetic changes.
You are responsible for:
- Working independently within a multidisciplinary team to bring complementary expertise in the analysis of the genomic aberrations of tumor endothelial cells.
- Contribute to projects analyzing the RNA/DNA landscape of tumor endothelial cells by applying the above mentioned genetic technologies.
- Wet- and dry-lab expertise in (quantitative) genetics, genomics, and/or molecular biology and tailoring these towards specific research questions
- Organizing and troubleshooting practical work independently
- Communicating results in a professional manner
- Participating in high-level seminars
- Candidates have a PhD in genetics, genomics, genome instability, DNA repair, or related field
- Candidates are interested in analyzing and integrating complex omics- and clinical datasets, and in working in a multidisciplinary environment of experts in biomedical sciences, transcriptomics, genomics and bioinformatics
- Experience in next-generation sequencing and computational genomics
- You are interested and motivated to work on ambitious projects in an open, dynamic, competitive and driven team
- You should have excellent organizational and supervisory skills, you can work in a team as well as independently
- You have a strong ability to multi-task, meet timelines and work accurately
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English
- You have a good publication record (including at least one paper as a first author) in peer-reviewed international journals, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity of publications.
- The opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary international team and contribute to the generation and biological validation of genomics data sets
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies in biomedical research
- A dynamic working environment in which quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged
- A competitive remuneration package, a stimulating scientific surrounding in a young, enthusiastic, motivated team (with English as main language)
- Long-term career opportunities
- Excellent training conditions within a team of experts
- The lab is situated in Leuven, a charming and vibrant university city, and only a stone’s throw away from the cosmopolitan city of Brussels, at the heart of Europe
- Starting as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Applications for this position should be submitted online.
Your application file should contain:
- Complete CV
- Motivation letter
- List of publications
- Summary of past research
- Contact information or reference letters of 2 or 3 referees