Vacancy Postdoctoral Position System Approach to Understand Sporadic Alzheimer’s Disease
About the Lab
The laboratory for research into Neurodegenerative disorders at VIB in Leuven is looking for a highly motivated postdoc interested in a system approach to understand sporadic Alzheimer’s Disease. Alzheimer’s Disease is a untreatable neurodegenerative disease affecting 30 million people worldwide.
Unfortunately, the cause of (sporadic) Alzheimer’s Disease is poorly understood. Genetics however play a very crucial role as has been demonstrated in extensive genome wide association studies and in twin studies. Literally thousands of loci in the genome influence the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease and this is captured in the so called polygenic risk scores (PRS) that allow to predict to a high certainty whether somebody will get Alzheimer’s Disease or not.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative postdoctoral investigator that wants to work with us to exploit this innovative insight to generate new ways to think about “drugable” pathways in complex disease.
We will focus on mining and understanding the implications of genetic variation in Alzheimer’s Disease.
We will generate novel data sets using single cell transcriptomics approaches of human induced pluripotent cell lines generated from patients with different polygenic risk scores.
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational sciences, or, a PhD in a biomedical field with a strong focus on bioinformatics or PhD with strong human genetics background
- A strong interest in neurodegenerative diseases
- Experience with (at least a number of) Linux, software development, database management, statistics, machine learning, Python and R
- Experience with the analysis of high-throughput data, including transcriptomics, genomics, and single-cell RNA-seq data.
Key personal characteristics
- A strong scientific attitude; you work precisely and meticulous.
- Team player with good communication and collaboration skills
- Positive, proactive, adaptable, eager to learn.
- Creativity, thinking out of the box, independence
The ability to further develop yourself as an expert in systems biology in the field of neurodegenerative diseases. The ability to work on high impact, state-of-the-art projects in a stimulating and social international research environment with world-class science.
Starting date: as soon as possible, the position is immediately available
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing research interests and previous research experience and a list of publications.
For more information: please contact Mark Fiers.Apply