Vacancy Scientist Metabolic Modelling – Groningen
For a fast-growing Biotechnical company that creates microbial production platforms for high-value chemicals and proteins, we are looking for a (Senior) Scientist – Metabolic Modelling. The organisation aims to evolve the chemical feedstock market by changing it from petrochemical-based to bio-based chemical production to create an environment friendly production. Their microbial cells factories (MCFs) grant effective, bio-based alternatives to traditional chemical-synthetic production processes. A large group of sponsors are interested in their processes, products and upcoming projects.
As a (Senior) Scientist – Metabolic Modelling you will produce high-value chemicals and proteins to establish a bio-based economy for a greener future. Key to the rational design of microbial cell factories are optimally designed synthetic metabolic pathways embedded in the host microorganism.
You will lead the development of in silico methods to support metabolic pathway and strain design, genetic construct design, phenotype analysis, and to improve the performance of microbes on both lab and pilot scale through genome-scale and kinetic modelling. Additionally, you will support the customer projects, develop novel algorithms and methods to increase the predictive capacity of in silico models. You will advise and train employees on data analysis and integration and support the design of experiments. You will join an interdisciplinary technical team that develops best practices in designing experiments and computer-aided learning for strain performance improvement. Furthermore, you will collaborate with a data steward to implement online data quality monitoring, data querying, and process automation. You believe that the economy is on the verge of a bio-based economy.
We are looking for a motivated and driven professional who would like to make a change to a greener economy based on bio-based alternatives. Additionally, the professional should meet the following criteria:
- PhD degree in (Microbial) Systems Biology or equivalent research experience
- Deep understanding of cellular physiology and metabolism for a variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes
- Demonstrable experience in data-driven computational modelling of biochemical networks through genome-scale modelling
- Programming skills, e.g. open-source contributions to projects in Python, R or Matlab
- Experience with collaborative software development tools, e.g. Git or Overleaf
- Experience in statistical analysis of omics datasets, data visualisation, and automation of workflows
- Strong communication skills including excellent command of the English language
- Personal competences: planning and organising, communication skills, persuasion, strategy development, curious, analytical, and a team player
Besides working in an international and sustainable environment, the organisation offers you:
- Salary between €2,800,- and €4,400,- per month (this range is flexible, salary will depend on experience)
- An exciting, professional work environment
- Growth opportunities and support in personal development
- A diverse and interdisciplinary team of colleagues, dedicated to contribute to a greener and more sustainable society
- Good primary and secondary benefits
If you are interested in this job, or in similar ones, please feel free to contact me directly.
Associate | Biotech/Pharma division
+31 6 83 77 89 89
+31 23 754 86 60