Vacancy Senior Scientist / Team Leader Antibody Discovery – Ghent
For one of the up-and-coming European biotech companies, we are looking for a Senior Scientist Antibody Discovery with line management responsibilities. This company, created in 2015, has developed into a stable biotechnology company and they are quickly expanding their activities. Their mission is to discover and develop new therapies and dugs for severe and neglected diseases. Their unique antibody technology allows for stabilising and researching “undruggable” membrane proteins, which opens a whole new world of possibilities for drug discovery screening. Therefore they are looking for a Scientist that can help and take the lead in new Antibody Discovery projects, including the management of research associates.
You will join the Antibody Discovery Group of the company, which is instrumental to the strategy of the company. Your work will allow researchers downstream (Structural Biologist, Cellular Biologists, Medicinal Chemists etc.) to do their job, as you discover and generate “the tool” that is necessary for GPCR stabilisation and thus the further drug discovery strategy.
This means you will design, execute and troubleshoot parallel antibody discovery projects from start to finish. You will use your wide array of skills in library construction, antibody cloning, display techniques etc. to reach these goals. Furthermore, you will contribute in the design and establishment of innovative new screening strategies, convert it to SOP’s and train your fellow scientists in these new techniques. In all of this, you will be supported by Research Associates and your own small team for which you will have line management responsibilities.
Furthermore, you will join company wide drug discovery project teams as the specialist in your field, allowing you to see the broader picture instead of having a limited scope. This will also gradually evolve into full project leadership of such discovery projects or in technology development projects.
To be successful in this position, you will recognise yourself in the following skill set/experience:
- PhD (or similar in experience)
- 1+ years of relevant industry experience in the field of antibody / peptide discovery
- Proficient in the rational design and execution of state of the art cloning strategies of single genes and antibody repertoires (gateway cloning, in-fusion, gibson assembly or similars)
- Strong experience in recombinant display techniques
- Previously worked on the integral membrane protein as a target
- Proven track record in managing 2-3 people
Furthermore, you identify yourself with following characteristics:
- Scientific integrity, solid analytical and problem solving skills
- Clear communication of complex research results
- Enthusiastic team player
- Proactive and self-motivating personality
- Fluent in English
You can expect:
- A scientific role with a high-level of independence and a high-level of responsibility
- Develop yourself into an expert in the Antibody Discovery field and have a strong impact by providing other teams with the essential tools for their research
- Involvement and leadership in company wide multidisciplinary project teams
- Manage your own team of seasoned and scientifically strong Research Associates
- Join a fast growing company that is on the forefront of innovation
- Learn first-hand from industry seasoned managers which are each a specialist in their scientific field
- A competitive salary in line with your seniority, as well as extensive benefits
If you are interested in this job, or in similar ones, please feel free to contact me directly.
Consultant R&D | Biotechnological and Pharmaceutical Industry